Purvisbooks -

Love Each Other
Hey Dad it's Me, I'll call You Back
Some Things Never Change
powered by

My Blog

21 to 2

There are two rather funny stories I would like to share about Bill Russell, the finest defensive player in the NBA.  Bill Russell retired from playing basketball after the 1969 season.  Although he did coach for awhile in Seattle with the Supersonics and did a turn behind a microphone as a broadcaster, he claims he never played basketball again.  Well, almost.  He did play one game of one-on-one against his oldest son.  The following is his story.  “I took my two sons to the 1972 Olympics in Munich, Germany.  While there, my oldest son, William Jr., mentioned that he didn’t have much competition when playing basketball,” said Bill.  On an empty court in Munich, Germany, here is how the conversation went:
 Son, “Do you want to play me one-on-one?’
Russell, “Son, I don’t play basketball anymore.”
Son, “You scared of being embarrassed?”
Russell, “No.”
Son, “Well, I think you’re scared.”
Russell, “Okay, how many baskets?”
Son, “Twenty-one.”
Russell, “Okay.”
“I was leading 19-0 and I said to my son, ‘Now I want you to score twice.’  He looked confused but scored two baskets, and then I went on to win 21-2.  My son asked, ‘So, why did you let me score twice?’  Russell responded, ‘There are two reasons:  one, so you wouldn’t go away saying that I was so mean that I skunked you, and two, you can now go around bragging that you scored twice on the great Bill Russell.’”
The second story includes Russell’s powerful nemesis, Wilt Chamberlain.  Russell won eleven rings in thirteen seasons with the Boston Celtics.  The story goes:  Chamberlain once asked Bill if he could have one of Bill’s rings, since he only had ten fingers.  Bill said “No.”  So, Wilt said if he couldn’t get a ring then perhaps he should give Bill a finger.  I’ll let you guess which one.
                                                             Andy Purvis
                                                      www.purvisbooks.com

7 Comments to 21 to 2:

Comments RSS
Stock Trading Tips on Wednesday, March 30, 2016 2:16 AM
This can be the most helpful weblogs we have actually run into about the subject. Fundamentally fantastic details! I am additionally a specialist in this topic so I can realize your own hard work.
Reply to comment

fake rolex uk on Saturday, November 05, 2016 9:46 PM
Bill Russell retired from playing basketball after the 1969 season.
Reply to comment

logo design service on Monday, June 25, 2018 3:08 AM
Our highly skilled and creative minded designer work hard with the latest tools and technologies to present you a custom logo like nobody besides can do so. Our whole logo design procedure is operated by very competent professionals to make sure the creation of a superb quality logo. Logo design is a pivotal stage in the growth of any goods or services.
Reply to comment

assignments help on Monday, November 12, 2018 11:44 PM
Some stories are discussed in this blog and all the stories are really perfect. I must say that readers will like this blog so much and people who are interested in reading will like this blog so much.
Reply to comment

paperhelp.org review on Thursday, November 22, 2018 12:21 AM
We as a whole realize that after schools we need to get higher investigations and for this reason there are numerous establishments that give us training . As we need to pick the subject of our enthusiasm for with the goal that we may play out our best and for this reason schools assumes an exceptionally crucial job.
Reply to comment

loegmrntdherid1 on Friday, December 14, 2018 3:13 AM
This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here!
Reply to comment