Purvisbooks -

Hey Dad it's Me, I'll call You Back
Some Things Never Change
powered by

My Blog

Baseball’s A Funny Game

Baseball’s A Funny Game

Bud Abbott and Lou Costello’s famous baseball rift entitled “Who’s on First,” goes something like this.  Lou is curious about Bud’s new baseball team and proceeds to ask him the names of the players on the team.  The conversation that follows is pure baseball magic.  “Who’s on first, what’s on second, I don’t know is on third” has been listened to more times than Happy Birthday.  It remains a timeless classic like The Wizard of Oz.  Abbott and Costello originally used this sketch live in 1937 during a burlesque comedy routine.  By 1938, you could hear “Who’s on First,” on the radio.  In 1940, they performed this routine on film and eventually took their act to television, in 1945.  In 1999, Time magazine declared it the greatest comedy sketch of the 20 Century.  It would be interesting to find out if any of you folks reading this article could name all the players in the sketch.  If you have read this far, you now know three of the names; here is a hint of a fourth with the ending.  A frustrated Lou Costello never understood that “Who” is the last name of the first baseman and ends his portion of the sketch by saying loudly, “I don’t give a darn.”  Bud Abbott’s response was, “Oh, that’s our shortstop.”
If you think you know the other player’s names, email me at purvis.andy@mygrande.net.

Andy Purvis
                                                       www.purvisbooks.com

10 Comments to Baseball’s A Funny Game:

Comments RSS
provat on Sunday, January 03, 2016 10:34 AM
thanks
Reply to comment

Frnk Adam on Monday, February 29, 2016 3:11 AM
I can play Baseball as a video game on my computer. This discussion about baseball is really interesting to me. I hope most of the kids like baseball as a video game.
Reply to comment

Stephanie Laura on Saturday, March 05, 2016 1:35 AM
Stephanie Laura
Reply to comment

Piano Tiles on Monday, March 14, 2016 2:21 PM
A nice attempt on funny game baseball. I played at school time. This article reminded my school time. It helps many people to understand baseball. Mostly kids like to play baseball. But still I didn’t get the name of other player please tell other players name.
Reply to comment

James Miller on Monday, May 02, 2016 4:45 AM
Andy, you know baseball is my favorite list. I just pleased to read this baseball discussion here. The real baseball is more exciting from video game baseball. Thanks for this discussion.
Reply to comment

online essay on Wednesday, August 10, 2016 11:44 PM
It is my first visit to this webpage; I am going by this site and read your post, for example, important and supportive blog entry .
Reply to comment

Pokemon go battle on Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:03 PM
In my school life, I played baseball with my school friend. But now, I am fond of the Pokémon Go game. Andy, thank you so much for this post with lots of interesting writing about baseball.
Reply to comment

http://www.fakerolex.org.uk on Saturday, November 05, 2016 9:45 PM
Reply to comment

lucas neil on Sunday, January 29, 2017 6:10 AM
I have played baseball since I was a child .I also tried some other game but I prefer playing real baseball . You should feel the baseball while playing . You can't feel anything without play it
Reply to comment

Bradley on Thursday, May 03, 2018 3:06 PM
Andy, you wrote a great post with lots of information on Baseball! It is true that it's really a fun game. I like Baseball very much. I play it when I get some free time. Thank you so much for the awesome post and keep it up!
Reply to comment